Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Maintaining the Pedestrian Nature of West End

West End has always been a walking neighborhood, where people were able to play volleyball, eat great seafood, enjoy their boats, visit their favorite watering hole, fish off of the piers, and hold picnics or crawfish boils without ever having to get into a car - what is your vision for this area in five years and how will you fight to maintain this neighborhood's pedestrian nature and openness for the general public?

Jay Batt - I believe that my commitment to restoring and protecting these qualities is once again exhibited by my recent ordinances on West End issues, such as my ordinances to retain the residential quality of the boathouses.

Sonia Gupta - I know this might sound a bit radical, but my first project would be to propose that the specific lakefront area (the loop consisting of N. Roadway and S. Roadway) be closed off to vehicles unless they have permits (maybe limited to residents, business owners, dock owners, employees of business, etc.). I envision streets that are open only to pedestrians and cyclists, replete with docks a-plenty, lots of beautiful picnic areas, and gorgeous parks surrounding our beautiful oaks. I understand that this might sound offensive in the American culture that revolves around autos, but I've visited a number of lovely European cities (especially Bruges, Belgium) that don't allow autos into any parts of the city. This promotes a clean and traffic-free environment (fresh air, no noise from auto engines) that is safe (kids can run about as they wish, pedestrians are free to wander as they choose, cyclists don't have to worry about rude drivers) and I've got to say, it's just very aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately, there simply aren't enough spaces in New Orleans that are auto-free and I'd love to see Westend Park become one of them. I will fight to pass relevant proposals in the Council to promote this idea.

Ray Landeche - As the only candidate to attend the recent West End redevelopment meetings (3/10-11/06), I will fight to continue an open and honest process to give the people what they need. I will fight to protect current leaseholder/property owner rights. Therefore, YOUR VISION will be my five year vision!

David Nowak - Many studies show that high traffic walking neighborhoods provide multiple economic opportunities as well as reduce instances of crime. West End isn't the only neighborhood in New Orleans that I as councilman envision growing into a pedestrian community.

Stephen Saussy - Approve establishments that enhance the neighborhood and maintain a familial atmosphere. With the devastation to numerous neighborhoods we must preserve any and all neighborhoods remaining.



Candidates Shelly Stephenson Midura, Sal Palmisano & Tom Wagner did not provide an answer to this question.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.