Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Opening Statements:

Jay Batt - I appreciate this opportunity to once again communicate and interact with your members and friends. As you know I have always been an active supporter of slipholders, yacht club initiatives, boathouse owners and West End residents, as underscored by my recent ordinances on behalf of boathouse owners and area residents.

Sonia Gupta - I admit openly that I'm an underdog in this race: I have never before ventured into the political arena and, relatively speaking, I am quite young (25). But I have a commitment to this city that is fueled by energy and vision. This is part of why I am running. I am also running because I am committed to providing a voice for all citizens in this city in the face of a city government that is turning a deaf ear. In that vein, I would like to let all NOYC members know that I am behind you all the way and, if elected, will do my best to ensure that your concerns are addressed. I will not lie to you and I will not pursue any measures unless they benefit our community as a whole. I refuse to pander to special interests or the motivations of a corrupt bureaucracy.

Ray Landeche - Forty-seven years of growth has prepared me to serve as your Council Member. Throughout my education in the St. Charles Parish Public Schools (Hahnville High), LSU (BS Engineering), and a 25-year career in the Oil & Gas Industry, I have always pursued the leading edge of technology to solve problems. However, several years ago it became clear to me that without WISDOM to properly apply our technologies, we will fail. This knowledge is well summarized by Stephen R. Covey in his books titled The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness. With this knowledge I suggest we:

• Love our neighbor. Louisiana is a beautiful mix of ethnicities who have come together to form a uniquely soulful people. As a product of Louisiana, our people carry a message of Faith, Hope and Love. Our good people are Louisiana's greatest export. Let's welcome diversity as our strength and make New Orleans a world-class city, again. Welcome home Louisiana!

• Bring Ethics and Integrity to government. Restore government for the people to create a vibrant economy, world-class levees, the "Sportsman's Paradise", a GREAT education system, and safe and clean neighborhoods for ALL.

• Think regionally in support of coastal restoration. The U. S. Army Corps of Engineers' interruption of natural processes is the leading cause in the loss of Louisiana's coastline and natural hurricane protection. New Orleans was NOT a coastal city when it was founded 300 years ago.

• Create a better education system for life to break the cycle of dependency that currently holds so many of our people hostages in a world of Political Patronage and corruption. To be effective in government, we must first know how government is supposed to work and then work to make government better (not bigger).

• With the four above pieces in place, we will be rewarded with Economic opportunity for ALL and make New Orleans (and Louisiana) the envy of the world.

With this message, we ask for all of us to be American, not partisan, on April 22nd and cast a vote for a better New Orleans. "IN GOD WE TRUST".

Shelly Stephenson Midura - Shelley Stephenson Midura is committed to representing the neighborhoods of District A. She welcomes establishing an open dialogue with the residents about their needs and concerns at the beginning of the discussion of an issue rather than at the end. She will assign a day of the week to each neighborhood so that scheduled, informed communication can occur and a trusting relationship between her office and the neighborhood associations can develop. She will listen, take action, and achieve results by working for consensus and compromise rather than stalemate. Shelley Midura will take the initiative to address concerns before they become problems, and seeks to establish a better way forward, together, than District A has seen in the past.

David Nowak - I would like to thank NOYC and Mr. Gilbert for the questionnaire. I have to admit, some of these questions, I didn't really know that much about. So I spent all of Friday touring the West End area, questionnaire in hand, trying to find some insights into these questions. Thanks to these particular questions, I feel I am a much better informed candidate. In the end it's much more so what you feel and believe than what I say. I only wish to use this office as a positive means to change.

Stephen Saussy - We the citizens of New Orleans have a chance to change our political landscape and the direction of the City we Love, ONE -CHANCE, NOW. This is not about political affiliation, Race, Gender or Religion. Hurricane Katrina exposed the inadequacies of our elected officials and forced many to ask themselves, WHY? We can blame those elected or we can take responsibility moving forward and mandate open integrity of City Government, City Finances, mandate that taxes and fees are applied as implied and not deposited into the general fund. The issues before us are complex but there are a few simple practices we can incorporate tomorrow which will to begin the eradication the political patronage that so many fear has contributed to the devastation of New Orleans over the last forty years.



Candidates Sal Palmisano & Tom Wagner did not provide an answer to this question.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.